When arthritis is causing your pain, chiropractic care can help. Dr. Scott M. Lund is a highly-skilled chiropractor who serves the residents of San Diego and North San Diego County at Lund Chiropractic in Encinitas, California. He can devise an effective arthritis pain treatment program that relieves your pain and helps decrease your risk of joint damage from arthritis. Call Lund Chiropractic today for an appointment or use their patient-friendly online scheduling service.
What is arthritis?
The term “arthritis” literally means joint inflammation. Certain conditions cause joints to become inflamed, red, and painful. Arthritis causes pain and stiffness in your joints that can interfere with movement. When left untreated, it may eventually lead to joint destruction.
What causes arthritis?
The two most common forms of arthritis are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis, by far the most common form, is typically due to wear and tear on your joints over time. This causes the protective cartilage that covers the ends of the bony components in a joint to break down. Without the cushioning provided by cartilage and other soft tissue structures in your joints, they become less mobile, painful, and inflamed.
Rheumatoid arthritis is related to an autoimmune disorder that causes your immune system to mistakenly target and destroy the tissue lining your joints (synovium). Other less common forms of arthritis are caused by a buildup of uric acid crystals in your joints (gout), psoriasis, and lupus.
What are the symptoms of arthritis?
Typical symptoms of arthritis include:
- Joint stiffness, pain, and swelling
- Decreased range of motion of the affected joint or joints.
Rheumatoid arthritis may also cause fever, swollen lymph nodes, and weight loss. Unless treated, arthritis symptoms progress over time. Significant arthritis in the knees can affect your ability to walk. Arthritic pain and stiffness in your hands can eventually make it difficult to even write a short grocery list.
Symptoms in your spine are typically due to degenerative changes associated with osteoarthritis. This can cause pain with even routine activities such as walking, standing, or bending. Osteoarthritis can also damage the vertebrae and discs in your spine that result in nerve irritation, which can send pain into your arms, legs, and head.
What is the treatment for arthritis?
The specific treatments for arthritis vary depending upon the type and which joints are affected. Dr. Lund’s treatment focuses on relieving your pain but also improving your joints’ mobility and health. This may include:
- Chiropractic adjustments to improve spinal alignment and relieve pain, including gentler techniques that are safe for joints affected by arthritis
- Guided therapeutic exercise to increase muscle strength and flexibility, which helps protect joints
- Therapeutic massage to ease muscle tension and soreness
- Lifestyle modifications such as an anti-inflammatory diet that provides healthy nutrition while decreasing your body’s inflammatory response
- Guidance for weight loss when necessary to help decrease the stress and strain on your joints